I’m all about celebrating milestones, and last weekend I celebrated my 31st birthday! To commemorate 31 years of awesomeness (yep, I’ve always been awesome) I thought I’d share some things you probably didn’t know about me.
1. I once blocked a guy so hard playing basketball that the Reggie Miller made fun of him (he happened to be shooting hoops on the other end of the court).
2. During my last job search I eliminated potential employers if they had a dress code (other than jeans and a t-shirt).
3. I could eat hamburgers for every single meal ever and be totally happy.
4. I played water polo for Pepperdine (NCAA). The experience of collegiate athletics is a massive part of who I am today!
5. I can ride a unicycle (not sure why, but I really wanted to learn how to do that in middle school).
6. A Croatian intentionally broke my nose with his head during a water polo game. It slanted noticeably to one side. A week later the problem was “gently” corrected when I was hit in the face with a water polo ball.
7. I hate it when someone touches my nose (see number 6)
8. My family is extremely proud that we only use banks that did not accept money from “The Bailout” (and we had to switch banks to do it).
9. I hate it when people don’t follow a system and then say it doesn’t work. No joke it didn’t work – you didn’t do it!
10. I once nearly ate an entire bag of Reese’s peanut butter cups in one sitting. I intentionally didn’t finish the last one so no one could ever say I ate a whole bag at once.
11. In college I went to Jack in the Box so often that the manager once recognized me and said hello… at the grocery store.
12. On my 20th birthday I ran the LA Marathon without a single day of training (with my water polo teammates). Yes, I walked 6 miles. But I ran 20!
14. When I was 19 I spent an entire summer living out of my car in Malibu. I would go look for empty dorm rooms with a sleeping bag at night, and showered at the gym… or the beach.
15. I’ve been working up the nerve to start a podcast for at least a year. Look out – it’s coming!
16. I used to think blogging was stupid.
17. I didn’t much care for reading until I was 27.
18. I’ve loved to read since I was 28. I’ve read more books in the past three years than the previous 28 combined!
19. My biggest fear when looking for a new job last year was that I’d have to use Windows
20. I love to face big, scary things I once thought were impossible. (really, look for the podcast)
21. I’ve learned more through sports about how to live an epic life then I have through any other experiences.
22. I play hard. All day if given the chance.
23. I’m a much better skier at 31 than I was at 21, and I guarantee I’ll be better at 41 than 31 – it’s how I roll.
24. I would fight you for a good donut.
25. My biggest fear is looking stupid.
Six from my awesome wife Cameron
26. College Gameday (the football one) is one of Deacon’s all time favorite shows.
27. Animals crack him up without fail (particularly penguins). They don’t even have to do anything. Just standing there is enough to make him erupt with laughter.
28. It is physically impossible for Deacon to pass up the “Bourne” movies, the “Ocean’s” movies, “Jack Ryan” movies, or “The Fugitive” no matter how many times they’re on TV.
29. Deacon may value uniqueness in most other areas of your life, but he WILL NOT eat any flavor of ice cream other than vanilla or chocolate.
30. He never mixes his burger and fries. He eats some fries, then the burger, then the rest of the fries.
31. He owns all 10 seasons of “Friends,” and can out quote anyone.