Jon Acuff’s latest book Quitter is at the top of my list for 2011. Quitter is about closing the gap between your day job and your dream job. It’s not just another book about how to start a business or how to climb the corperate ladder. Instead it’s a book about how real people discover their God-given passions, and what to do about it when you do.
Given the title of the book you might wonder why a guy like me who loves his job is reading and recommending a book called Quitter. Great question! Quitter is not a manifesto about ditching your 9 to 5 in search of the perfect. Instead it’s about discovering the work you were created to do, and then getting your hands dirty doing it.
Jon’s writing is inspirational, instructional, and easy to apply. I love how Jon shares his own ups and downs through this book. It’s encouraging to hear how he struggles with fears and doubts despite being a best selling author.
– If you want to be successful at your dream job someday, start by being successful at your current job. You can’t wait for the dream job to start being your best.
– Ironically, quitting your job is not the best way to start your own business. Instead, start your business at night and on the weekends and grow it into something solid before you take the leap. Keeping your day job is the smartest thing you can do.
– Even when you find your God-given calling you will be under constant attack to make something of it. Be prepared.
– Understand the difference between passion and position. You can fulfill your passion in a huge number of positions.
– A “plan” is NOT the first thing you need. Get started. Now.
Read it if:
– You want to start your own business someday – the right way.
– You want to find greater fulfillment in your work.
Skip it if:
– You don’t like hard work.
[box type=”download”] Read the first chapter for free here (Thanks Jon!)[/box]